Director of Communications and Marketing
Job no: 492513
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Denver, CO
Categories: Marketing / Communications / Media
This position manages short- and long-range strategic communication plans for the School and, following University guidelines, oversees branding and positioning efforts. This position also works in close partnership with the School’s graduate enrollment office to market the school and its programs to prospective students. This includes serving as an advisor on advertising strategies as well as on content production and management for the School’s website.
The Director strategizes with the Dean and senior staff on the positioning of the School relative to peer institutions and implements marketing and branding standards accordingly. This position helps manage digital communications (such as the Schools website and social media), print materials (including the Schools annual review and marketing brochures), and internal communications to students, faculty and staff (including digital signage and the Schools weekly newsletter). The Director pitches story ideas to the University’s Division of Marketing and Communication and works to increase media coverage of the School. The Director also advises the Dean and other faculty and staff regarding student-specific communication, providing talking points when needed.
The Director supervises up to two full-time staff members, student employees who perform communication/marketing duties, and, on occasion, any part-time graphic designer, website project manager, and/or other communications-related consultant engaged by the School.
The Josef Korbel School of International Studies at the University of Denver is an interdisciplinary professional school of international studies that prepares students for careers in the public, private and non-profit sectors. Our degrees provide students with the knowledge, skills and networks to design policies, implement programs, and realize outcomes that enhance human capabilities around the world.
We offer a PhD in International Studies and masters degrees in International Development; Human Rights; International Studies; Global Finance, Trade and Economic Integration; International Security; Public Policy; and Conflict Resolution. We also offer graduate certificate programs in Global Health Affairs; Humanitarian Assistance; Global Business and Corporate Social Responsibility; Global Environmental Change and Adaptation; Homeland Security; Public Diplomacy; and Religion and International Affairs. The School also runs joint or dual-degree programs with the Sturm College of Law, the Daniels College of Business, the Graduate School of Social Work and the department of Media, Film and Journalism Studies. At the undergraduate level, we offer degrees in International Studies and Public Policy.
- Work in close partnership with staff, faculty and DU’s Division of Marketing and Communications to determine short- and long-range strategic communication plans for the Josef Korbel School.
- In collaboration with DU media relations, support media appearances of the Schools dean and faculty.
- Pitch media story ideas to DU’s Division of Marketing and Communications and work to increase media coverage of the School.
- Work in close partnership with the Director of Graduate Enrollment to market the School and its programs to prospective students.
- Serve as advisor regarding advertising strategies.
- Oversee the School’s official social media channels. Serve as advisor to the School’s centers and institutes on social media and website content to ensure message alignment.
- Oversee and manage the School website, using the site to achieve strategic marketing and communication goals.
- Oversee branding efforts for the School and its adherence to DU’s Marketing and Communications guidelines, including the usage and development of logos.
- Work in close partnership with the Executive Director of Development and the Director of Alumni Relations on marketing efforts around fundraising, donor relations, and outreach and newsletters for alumni.
- Assist colleagues with tasks related to the Schools e-communications and print materials.
- Advise and assist the Dean and senior staff with internal communication strategies, including communication with students, staff and faculty.
- Provide talking points to the School’s staff, faculty and others, including board members.
- Present to various constituent groups periodically and serve as the School’s primary liaison to DU’s Division of Marketing and Communications.
- Assist with events and event planning as needed.
- Oversee and successfully manage the communications budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Supervise up to two full-time staff members and, on occasion, any part-time graphic designer, website project manager, and/or other communications-related consultant engaged by the School.
- Supervise student employees working on marketing and communications efforts.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and spoken English skills.
- Ability to write and review publicity and marketing materials; strong copy editing skills.
- Ability to effectively present information one-on-one and in large group settings to diverse audiences; excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate professionally and with tact to best represent DU and the Josef Korbel School.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to build consensus, prioritize and work well with a variety of personalities and with different constituencies.
- Ability to work with and understand basic budgetary procedures.
- Ability to compute, read and interpret statistical information for tracking and analysis.
- Ability to strategize and maximize efficiency with limited staff and resources.
- Ability to deal with problems involving multiple stakeholders and come to comprehensive and thoughtful solutions.
- Ability to manage complex situations and make independent decisions.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Photoshop and Premier
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination or education and work experience
- At least 5 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in marketing, communications, public relations, media relations and/or donor relations.
- Experience in the design, development and implementation of communications, media and marketing strategies.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Basic knowledge of budgets and financial accountability.
- Project management experience with sophisticated marketing and communications campaigns.
- Experience with online content management.
- Advanced degree in marketing, communications, or related field.
- Communications/marketing experience in higher education.
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience working on co-branding initiatives (i.e. for entity within an entity).
- Experience working with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Experience supervising full-time, part-time and/or student employees.
- Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Evenings and weekends as required.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) July 12, 2019
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
- List of 3 references and their contact information
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.
Apply For job
To apply for this job please visit www.glassdoor.com.